Tuesday, November 04, 2008

My Morning voting experience

I was so excited to vote, I jumped right out of bed. My oldest son and I headed out just after 7am. I was thrilled as I pulled up to my polling place and saw the parking lot overflowing. Then I got in a line that extended clear out of the building. I began to wonder how long this was going to take, when a poll worker (coffee in hand) walked out and said "if your last name starts with M-Z come right this way". I walked with him past a line of close to 75 people with names starting from A-L into my wonderful M-Z line of 3. I waited less than 10 minutes to vote. The line I experienced a few minutes later at Starbucks was much longer and took longer.

I think it is great that they let you bring your kids with you. I saw many with their kiddos in tow. My son really liked seeing the whole process, and he liked my voting strategy too. He was a little surprised by the sample ballots though. The Republican sample ballot had all candidates printed the same, and had their candidates highlighted in yellow. The Democratic sample ballot had all the Democratic candidates printed in BOLD, and had all the others in a smaller font and printed so faintly that you could hardly read them. He didn't like this at all and felt it was deceptive. I guess I'm used to political manipulation.

In my district, I believe big turnout is great for McCain. It usually goes for Republicans easily. It was great to see people so excited to be a part of the process. So, please get out and VOTE! Again, nothing has been decided yet, and it can not be until after 10pm tonight. Don't believe the Hype. McCain will carry the day despite what the media will tell you early on.

What an exciting day, that is until I report to work in a little while and work until midnight. I love election day and my job. It should be an exciting day either way.

That is my 2.5 cents on my morning vote. Look back for lots more as the day rolls on!

No comments: