Tuesday, August 26, 2008

OH to be a kid again

I haven’t blogged much lately because of several reasons: too busy, burned out, not motivated by the current state of politics, just plain tired and uninspired. But maybe I’ve been looking to the wrong areas for inspiration.

You know, I was sitting at my desk today, fretting and pouring over a ton of junk called paperwork. Then the picture screensaver on my computer caught my eye. It was on this great picture of my youngest son Trevor. When I saw this picture, I couldn’t help but laugh. It was taken while we were camping recently at Douthat State park near Clifton Forge, Virginia. He was attempting to eat a smore, but not having much success. It is the type of picture that makes anyone and everyone smile. But, that is the way Trevor lives every moment of his little, crazy life. If you haven’t met him, then you are missing out. He lives every minute wide open. He always has fun no matter what is going on. This also gets him in trouble sometimes of course, but he’s learning. He has an approach to life that I could and should take something from.

So I began thinking to myself about how we as adults tend to lose sight of the fun things life holds. I think I actually do better than most, but recently I have allowed stress and aggravation to sour my outward mood. I think it is important to me as a boss, friend, son, husband, and father to remain joyful even in times of stress and in the face of obstacles. You know it has become clear to me recently how my bad mood or poor attitude effects those around me negatively. It is also clear how Trevor’s smile and pep effect all of those around him positively. So, I am setting out recently to try to remain positive as much as possible. Well, how in the world am I going to do that? I have no clue on my own. I have had some good days trying this and many not so good ones. I am by nature a fairly negative person, and I want to fix that. So, I finally realized today that I can’t do it on my own (yes, I’m thick headed). I need help from my Lord Jesus Christ. But it has to go far beyond just plain help. I must immerse myself in his word every day for his joy to shine through me. In John 17:13 Jesus says: "I am coming to you now, but I say these things while I am still in the world, so that they may have the full measure of my joy within them.” So it is clear that I must spend more of my time immersing myself in the things Jesus said in order for my joy to be full and unfailing. For those of you who are hard headed like me this is a great verse because Jesus goes as far as to say that we actually needed to listen and heed what he said while here on earth.

So, look up at that picture of that gooey funny face and remember to let the joy of Jesus shine through you today!


That’s my 2.5 cents, and that’s all I’ve got!
Posted by Picasa

No comments: